Below is beautiful Napa Valley and then last minute pictures with Mom and Dad in my uniform (since they don't ever get to see me live in uniform)


Leaving back for Iraq felt like standard traveling. On the first flight from Flint to Atlanta, there was a young female navy corpsman who talked my ear off. When I get to Atlanta, of course, there are hours of time between my arrival and departure. Fortunately there is wireless to purchase for the day...and even better, my friend, Beth, from college comes to visit me :)
Finally, it comes time to go to the terminal. Security is easy. There is a special line for us deployed soldiers and we don't have to take off our shoes. But we do have to comply with the quart bag of fluids rule. Our terminal is terminal E...I've never been to this mysterious terminal. We take the train and get off and....AAAAAAA (in a high pitched song-like tone), it's the nicest terminal yet; but also the most evil! Right there is a nice little wine bar....that's right a wine bar! How cruel is that. After 2 weeks of enjoying this lovely product of fruit and fermentation, they tease me with this bar when I now am not allowed to drink it. I stay far away to avoid the misery.
When we first flew out to Kuwait, we flew in a different airline than when I flew back to the States on my R&R. On that initial flight out, I sat down and was ready to watch the first movie once in air when I realized the headsets are not working. Come to find out, none in that row were. The flight attendants were so nice and tried to help out, but couldn't get them to work. In addition, it was insanely cramped in that seat. I ended up moving up front to sit in my friend Shannon's row (probably to her dislike because she had three seats to herself....so thank you Shannon!!!). This time while waiting in Atlanta, I hear that our airline was changed to this same one. I was disappointed, but remained optimistic. I take my seat realizing the seats are really cramped regardless of how many peope are next to you. As we are waiting to take off with gates closed and flight attendants seated, I realize the reading light is not working. I check the headset....not working AGAIN! How is it that I chose the rows that do not work TWICE?! Once we get in the air, I stop the flight attendant to inform her of the electrical problem. She leans against the seat, cocks her head to he side, and says to me "Well, if you would've told me while on the ground, we could've had the mechanics take a look at it." Ah yes, it's completely my fault that I didn't know this before we were already with the gates shut and in line for take off to let her know. I felt like saying a million smart-ass comments back to her, but because I was stuck with her for 7 hours, I left it alone.
The food this time was not so good...and this may be due to the fact that I was eating amazing food for 2 weeks prior...but edible. Just like on the initial flight to Iraq, I slept through the second meal and wake up to a snack of bacon chips!!!!! (http://iraqorbustotter.blogspot.com/2008/12/word-on-bacon-flavour-fries.html) Not again???? How is this such a popular treat that they serve them on such large flights? I am not a fan of this airline.
We finally arive in Kuwait safely. Once outside, I get a huge heat open handed smack in the face. "Welcome back to the desert, Sucker", it says. This is when I feel like I'm entering into a state of living purgatory...placed in a state between the comfort of a normal life and job and the bliss of a vacation. Even though 5 1/2 months remain, it feels like I'm returning for a life-time. I see one of the other traveling Captains fall into the same state of despair. We walk around for two days like zombies.
And just to rub it in, we have to meet up throughout the next day and half at the sign to Baghdad.
The second night of being in Kuwait, we are told we have to meet up at 2 AM for our flight. Again, with Army style, we don't actually leave the base until 5:30 AM and don't fly to Baghdad until 6:30 AM. I was so nervous about riding in a C-17 (see initial R&R blog), but thankfully we ride in a C-130...a large plane with lots of commercial airplane type seating (although still very non-commercial in appearance). We file into the plane and sit every other seat. I have no idea how they can fill every seat on the plane. With my bullet proof vest, helmet, and small backpack with me, I am crammed in my seat. Still, it is still a million times better than the other flight, and I'm happy for that.
Once we arrive to Baghdad, I'm a mess from not sleeping. I file out of the plane and as we are walking away we are passing another single file line walking to the plane. "Yacoub!" someone yells, and I turn to see one of our physician's assistants on his way out. I smile and wave back, then turn in embarrasment. I had my helmut half on and was really struggling to get my backpack over my vest and on my back....this in front of a special forces, ranger, airborne soldier. Haha, the sight I must've made. Then we make it to the open area where we make a formation; and, again, I hear my name. Standing there is a friend of mine from when I lived in Augusta. Why I am seeing everyone while I'm at my worst is beyond me, but given this entire trip back...I've come to the conclusion that the Army may win the battle against me (http://iraqorbustotter.blogspot.com/2009/03/cheating-system.html). Victory on their part.
But things start to improve. There are no flights today which means I get to relax. We take the bus out to the temporary housing tents. I get my tent assignment and get settled. The next day I'm on a daytime Blackhawk flight to my base. With all the crap I felt over the past few days, this is by far the most amazing day I could have in Iraq. I got a great seat, there was plenty of leg room, and the gunner let me wear headset so I can hear what they are saying and ask questions if I need to. But I don't ask questions, instead my head is glued to the window as I take in as much as Baghdad as I can. I see some neighborhoods with smaller houses, some with big beautiful houses, some big pools that almost make me want to cry because I think of how nice a pool would be, market places, and, of course, the river. The most interesting thing is that even from the air, everything looks brown. Lots of brown. Where is the color, Baghdad. Let's see you splash around some paint.
Now back at my base. I am welcomed with no other way, but a decent amount of accumulated dust in my room. The desert adventure is back on.
5 comments:
a)what airline is it you are flying? I never wanna fly it. Ugggg. Bacon Chips. My worst nightmare come true. I am not a fan also. oh, the comments I can think of also. like.... to that stewardess: "did you harvest this snack off your ass?"
b) that Blackhawk flight sounds awesome!
c) you're so funny
d) you're totally gonna win the war... they just one that one battle:)
love
sab
oh man I gotsta few letters for ya too
A: I cant stop laughing.. you're too funny!!!
B: My life is like the headsets too! you're not alone...
C: I will also never understand bacon chips...G-ROSS!
D: Think of how lucky you are to of seen Baghdad in the air!!! Even thou its brown with a splash of brown...wow
E: E is for the terminal that is super secret and torture!
F: Whoever called you a sucker stole my signature call!
G: Imagine all the ocean swimming and pool you can take from what future awesomeness lies ahead of us and we can draw IRAQ OR BUST in the sand!!! Forget castles..we go for the GOLD!
H: H is for Hawai'i...can't wait to see you there!!!! bbooyaahh
also....F is a double meaning
Ator-
While eventful, I am glad you made it back safely. You can push through these next few months...make it a countdown of all the wonderful experiences you'll have when back state-side...wine, free of a life with bacon chips, quality airline flights, no secret terminals, public displays of affection, fewer formations, sandy beaches of Hawaii...the countdown is on girl. Get out the calendar and get your groove thing going!
Hi Bratie Aziztie , its a big pleasue to see you as always, I am glad you had a wounderfull time visiting us , soon I will celebrate This X-Mass with you and Olivia and have fun in Hawaii, Take care and be safe,
Love You
MOM
Post a Comment