Fortunately we are not living daily in fear of these kind of attacks. When we first made it to our original base in Iraq, we had a few days where mortars fired at our base. Even then, most of them did not do much damage or even made it onto the base. But each time, we manned the aid station expecting the worst, but fortunately receiving the least. Although it often feels we only do sick call, it's our mission to be able to take care of emergency situations as well.
There are still IED and RFPs (bombs set to attack military vehicles) that still harm and kill soldiers, however, the war is not as how it's been described to me in years past. Regardless, we are always preparing for a "mass casualty" mission. Below is a picture one morning waiting and wondering what we might see.

This morning was a nice, typical morning for sick call. But around 10 AM everyone made their way outside to prepare for the ceremony. It was a special occasion and ranks as high as our Brigade Commander made a trip to the base for this dedication ceremony. It was to be an honored, special event. I stayed inside to help out medic who was tasked to remain at the phones. After about an hour, I hear people running up and down the hall. I walk down curiously and asking one of our specialists what is going on. "You have a patient, Ma'am. She's in the trauma room." I walk in to see two other doctors who were at the ceremony along with a few medics working on the young girl who passed out while in formation and still not responding. As I stepped in to see what I could do, we hear, "We've got another one!" and a young unconscious soldier is carried in to the trauma room. I run over to see him and fortunately he is awake and doing much better. However, still needing to assess him, I stay and soon here "We've got another one!" followed yet again by "We've got another one!" That's right FOUR people passed out during the ceremony. What was impressive was how everyone got to the tables to help, each took a role (such as IV, hooking up monitor, recording), and as more patients rolled in, more soldiers rose to the occasion to assist. Four patient was the most we've had in one time so it was as close to a "massive casualty" as we've been so far. Fortunately after everyone was evaluated and came around (even the initial girl), was okay, and able to be released.
Our medics are great, but they sometimes worry they would be unable to handle the situation. Yet, again, they prove they are very good, very brave, and very capable soldiers. Granted our cases today were a few soldiers passing out from not eating breakfast and standing at attention in the hot Iraqi sun, the process is the same for any situation and I know they can handle whatever brings them. And thankfully so, as it is definitely getting hot over here.
3 comments:
Hello Ator, my science class are sending you their greetings and best wishes. They love your stories. My students Gabe, Katy, Brooke, Noelle, Omar, Jake, and John said they like the shrimp chips and you should bring some back (I don't know about that!). They think you have done great job on the stitched fingur.
Blessings, Regina
Haha sounds like some people need to spend a little more time outdoors. That heat can get pretty wicked out there.
AREN'T BITCHES CRAZY??!?!?!?!? dude....anyone hurts you I"M GONNA DROP IT ON THEM LIKE THEY"VE NEVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxo what you want in your next package of awesomeness>!?!?>!>!
Post a Comment