Today I had a great blog in mind about how great it is to work with my medics, but I want to add pictures and have run into some gliches. So the original blog I was going to do will have to wait.
In the meantime I'll just let you know that things are going fine here. There really isn't a whole lot to do during the day and not much space or things to walk to. I have been seeing only about two to five patients in a day and mostly muscle strains or joint sprains or the new viral illness that is going around. This leaves me with plenty of leisure time. I have been really, almost obsessively into watching Nip/Tuck. It has so much scandel that each episode leaves me waiting to watch the next. I'm also reading some books and, of course, all the trashy gossip magazines people send us (we love them! keep sending them). I feel pretty good because I'm jogging almost daily (although mainly sitting or sleeping for the remaining 23 hr and 20 minutes of the day). Most of our company has left to the other base, so it's drama free! That is the best part. Even though I'm rarely in the middle of drama, just being around a group that holds some much tension among them is stressful enough. And I'm sleeping pretty good. The only two times I had to wake up from sleep to see someone of course had to be the one time I took Benadryl and was mumbling and out of it for about 15 minutes, then the one time I had a weird dream and was again out of it for a while after which made pretty hilarious site for my night medic. But overall, our mission here is going well.
After having a fairly intense schedule over the past few years I used to welcome any free day to be a sloth. But after days upon days of such a lax schedule, I've realized A) I have to take advantage and not complain of not being busy, B) I cannot wait until I have "things to do" when I get home, and C) I am soooo lucky that I will be going back to a job I like and have the luxury to do things I enjoy such as going out for drinks or dinner or a movie, taking vacations, seeing family and friends, and much much more.
Then I think about the many people in this world that don't have this luxury. I often complain of leaving my life to come to Iraq, when there are people from places like Nepal, India, Uganda, Phillipines, and other places that due to the good relative salary made the choice to leave their families (including children) for up to 4 years to come work here. Often in thankless jobs like folding laundry, or serving vegetables at the dining facility. But they all go to work and make the best of the situation. I have never had so many people smile while serving food than I did here. I always try to smile back as I'm sure, just as I do, at the end of the work day, they go to their rooms and think about the lives that are going on and moving forward while we are here in our own version of Groundhog Day.
Well, that's what I was thinking about tonight since I couldn't put my fun blog complete with pictures on. I'm off to watch a movie since I finally took out season 4 of Nip/Tuck and want to force myself to take a night off before enslaving myself to the obscession that season 5 will bring.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We played soccer with them. For 3 years no one had any interaction with those guys outside of the little you deal with them at their jobs. We set up a FOB wide football (AKA Soccer) league. It was a good way to interact with them. I know it helped a ton with the Albanians that were with us.
funny you say that bc i was about to buy you groundhogs day but thought you would either A: laugh at the irony or B: punch me in my face! so i opted for When Harry met Sally and when Ishtars ass gets done watching i'll send it
i am imagining the doogie howser song going on in the background while you typed this. :D
my lan
Post a Comment