Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cut your finger? Come to Rustamiyah!

This past week was really interesting. My two friends (the other doc and physician's assistant) left to another base. And as the week rolled on I watched my aid station go from having most everything I needed to a bare minimum pharmacy, two stretcher on stands, and a few supplies. But what we had plenty of were...

...SUTURES!!!! And good thing because it was finger week at FOB Rustamiyah. If you cut your finger, don't worry, we will sew it. It was really fun and I learned that I really like to sew up skin. And I'm really picky about how good it looks. So what has gotten into me I wondered. I'm an internest...we sit and ponder and do procedures like paracentesis and thoracentesis and central lines...those procedures that take a really sick person to have to need one. Then it hit me...Nip/Tuck! I have been watching season one of Nip/Tuck all week and the magical work of Dr's McNamara and Troy was motivating to make those digits look as cosmetically amazing as possible. Thanks, Sean and Christian!

5 comments:

Kyle Platz said...

Strong work Ator. I am very proud of your stitch work.

Read my blog: I am sure you will be one of the few people to sense my real frustation with that process.

Take care, and see you from the War Zone soon.

Kyle

Anonymous said...

ooooh, I love nip/tuck!

Anonymous said...

Sew em up and then give em a facelift! :)-HH

I love nip tuck.

Ator said...

Ha, I think I did give one person a facelift as he wanted me to remove a growth from the center of his forehead up by his hair line. No wrinkles in my unit!

Anonymous said...

good...get yo ass some practice sister bc i'm gonna need some botox/lifts/tucks/sutures in the future..

meeoowwww baby!