Ever since I've joined the Army, I've been trying to find little ways to disobey the rules. I have no idea why. But I think because I want to be mildly passive aggressive in my anger about being sent to Augusta, GA then teased with Hawaii only to be sent to Iraq...but not too hateful as I have had a lot of good experiences and benefits from being in the Army and have met a lot of amazing people.
First during residency, I would not wear my hair back nicely. I just wouldn't. I could not stand the fact that not only did I have to be a good resident, but also a good soldier!!!! I felt there was more to life than just wearing my hair back in a nice neat bun. So I made a messy bun and let my bangs fall in front of my eyes a lot. Even though I did this for three years, I didn't get much of a response. I felt defeated. It was not until our senior year end-of-the year banquet that I noticed the true impact of my battle. In the staff physicians' skits on all the senior's individual nuances, mine seemed to have the theme of my hair getting progressively messier and in my face with each take (I was very well played by a female cardiologist who I played in the previous year). I realized not being told to change was actually a good thing. Yes, three years of noticeable rule breaking and I never had to yield to the powers that be. It was small and long battle, but I would like to call it a VICTORY.
Second, when I arrived to Fayetteville just prior to my deployment I owned a black beret and a medical corps badge. For about two weeks it was suggested (which in Army terms means "instructed") to change my badge to the 82nd Airborne and get a fitted, shaven (no material fuzz or pilling) maroon beret. Not only did I not want to give up my identity of a physician, I also didn't want to identify with a unit who pulled me away from Hawaii so soon. But even more so was that I didn't want to be held up to their standards. Two weeks of "suggestions" later, I had a damn maroon beret and Airborne patch on. I think all the running was like kryptonite, slowly weakening my ability to resist...I stood defeated.
Third, since I joined the 82nd, I have been waking up early to get to useless formations that occasional lead to running. Once we got to the base it was even worse as all of us docs would wake up, go stand with the soldiers waiting for a 30 second "ATTENTION" then "FALL OUT". We did the ultimate "fall out" and would go back to sleep. Now that I'm the only doc here with the unit, I've taken the liberty to just not show up. I just didn't find it necessary. I've been calling it "mission-leave CPT Yacoub alone"...it it was a success! Not only have I not made it to formation in a week, but I've also not been instructed to help with the emptying of sandbags project nor any packing projects. I'm on project watch Nip/Tuck and see the occasional cut finger and sprained ankle. VICTORY
Finally, we cannot run outside with our headphones. I don't mind running (I say running but think of slow jogging instead) without music, but it's nice to have that entertainment now and then. Today I decided to do something about it. I was going to wear one earpiece while the rest of the lines and my ipod shuffle hid in my shirt. I got nervous (running is kryptonite). But in my moment of almost defeat came inspiration. I tucked the ear pieced just under the straps of my sports bra only a few inches below my ears and turned the volume up to max. It worked! I was able to jog and listen to music (except when I ran by noisy vehicles) and no one new the slightest of what I was doing as you could not see the ear pieces and past my head it was not audible. VICTORY
I won't go into how nice it is to have everything covered for by being in the Army such as healthcare, rent, malpractice insurance and my lack of medical school loans as I don't think those count in the battle...they have my servitude until 2012 so we're even in that aspect. That means, it's 3 to 1. Bring it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow! You are first class in improvising your ways to VICTORIES 3to1...needs=inventions.
Well, sharing your storm dust story reminded me with my experience of the pich black dust storms(we wont see a light if it is flashed in our eys) when I lived in the western Iraq. We would end up shoveling(not sweeping) about a 1/2 foot thick sand from the dust storm aftermath. God bless and keep you safe and happy.
Regina
Wow, Aunt Regina...a 1/2 foot of sand?!?!?! It's almost like getting a Michigan snow storm except not as fun and I'm sure much harder on the sinuses.
I still need a red beret too! What are they going to do, send me home?
thats the funniest thing ever! i'd do the same thing. actually i do that at neimans a lot. i totally get these are different extremes but they still piss me off. so i fight the power passive aggresively. THATS MY SISTER! man, i was JUST talking about those damn formations. I'm still laughing! u rule sister!
So, that is what your crazy hair was about! A victory for sure...I just thought you could not find the hairspray isle.
Miss you...
-Heather
Post a Comment