
So, my sister reminded me that I am not in Kuwait and need to fast forward my blog.
I'll have to do a filler blog.
Thoughts on Kuwait. I still have this fantasy that I can call this place a beach country instead of a desert since it borders water. People have argued this point and, frankly, I'm kind of sick of the arguments. I'M THE ONE DEPLOYED AND I WANTED TO BE IN A BEACH COUNTRY!!! So, please leave my fantasies alone...they may be all I have for the next year.
I did get the grand opportunity of living in a large structured tent (see pictures to the left) with about 60 other girls. After living by myself for 3 years (for the most part), it was an adjustment. It at first wasn't too bad, but after day in and day out I just wanted some alone town, so I did the unthinkable....I walked around the base without a battle buddy (the person you link up with to walk everywhere together for safety and accountability purposes). I know I was living on the edge, but the edge was where I wanted to be. Just that little bit of walking by myself to the Px (post exchange, aka store), then to the coffee shop (this time a place called Green Beans), then to a few more stops and back was the most liberating thing I had done. I had treated myself with independence.
I still think my favorite thing from my trip to Kuwait was the trip out to the firing range. It was a beautifully sunny day, but in the desert winds, the temperature can drop drastically. Standing outside, I could tell that a majority of us were shivering. It was miserable and everyone could tell how I was feeling by the look on my face. I'm with a unit who's motto seems to be "The 82nd doesn't get cold" (82nd referring to the 82nd Airborne Division) so I just stood there without complaining. We then took our positions at the range and got down into the prone position (lying on the sand on our stomachs) to shoot. I cursed the wind again, but this time not for the cold, but for the fact that it caused the top layer of sand to flurry all over the place including in my nose and mouth. I ate a lot of sand that morning. After it was all done (and I actually hit the target for once), I waited and looked all around me. It was absolutely beautiful there. The sky was clear, blue, and sunny. It reflected on the sand to cause it to glisten. And off in the distance were a bunch of CAMELS!!! Before this day, I had not seen a single animal in Kuwait. It was really quite a sight that I know many people will never get to see and I recall thinking...this year is going to be a story that I'll want to go by quickly, but need to appreciate and take all in at the same time. Since then, the feeling has come and more often went. It's difficult to think that I will be here for an entire year. The life that I had waited all through residency for is on hold again. I know it will be for a reason though...just have to keep in mind those cool camels and all the unlucky folks who don't get to see them. :)
2 comments:
I want chapter 3 6 or 9 in your book and also I heart camels and starbucks!!! yumm...raspberry mocha latte...have them make you one!!! you wont regret it
Mmm, raspberry mocha latte does sound good...sadly that wasn't on the menu. And you can have all three chapters!
Post a Comment