

So on the flight from Ireland to Kuwait, after my dramamine induced slumber and before my scary encounter with Bacon Flavour Chips, I looked outside and saw this amazing scenery. There was even a small lake in the distance at one point. It was amazingly beautiful from the sky and I couldn't help trying to get others to look out. I think I was the only one who was that amused though.
Even more intriguing was looking waaay down into the valleys and seeing these little communities and roads. It was hard to imagine what life was like for them compared to what I am used to. I have a feeling there was not a Starbuck's there.

And finally, we reach the great beach country of Kuwait!!! (see all that sand is on the water.)
Since I couldn't take any pictures on the flight line, I took one of the screen. This flight was followed by a 3 hours bus ride (one of just sitting on the bus, two of actual driving) to our base. They had us keep our curtains closed and advised us not to open them. Curiosity took over though and I kept sneeking peaks. I don't know why I kept on doing so, as after the first couple I realized all I was seeing was dirt and sand....nothing else. That's when I realized....crap, I'm in the Middle East!
4 comments:
You know they did the same thing to us on the bus but then 3 days later we drove unarmored Hummers from Kuwait City down to the coast, which took about 2 hours. They didn't even have canvas on them. Go figure? We did get to see a lot of the cities and countryside. We didn’t take many pictures though. We were still very green and thought that Kuwait was actually a dangerous place. Kuwait is really a pretty nice place. Now that I think about it I seem to remember catsup flavored chips...
So... the peeking helped you realized you were finally in the middle east. that cracks me the f up. love sab
You're so sneaky. To think... they had you fooled into thinking you were going on an Alaskan cruise until you peeked out those curtains.
I'm laughing all over the place: "Crap, I'm in the Middle East!"
I think it looks beautiful too; archeologically speaking, scientists suspect you're looking at the cradle of civilization, including the proverbial Garden of Eden!
As for a Starbucks, I'm sure capitalism and it's many conviences will finds a way across even the most remote places on the globe...just give it time.
Keep marveling at the beauty when you have the chance; it helps to keep perspective on why we are so blessed to live in the USA!
Post a Comment